TITLE: Armorial Panel
OBJECT TYPE: stained glass
OBJECT DESCRIPTION: panel
BRIEF DESCRIPTION: Stained glass armorial panel with a shield bearing a picture of a red lion. Designed by Mabel Esplin or Joan Fulleylove.
NUMBER OF ITEMS: 1
DESIGNER: Mabel Esplin (1874-1921)
DESIGNER: Joan Fulleylove (1886-1947)
PRODUCTION PLACE: Glass House, Lettice Street, Fulham, London, England
Height: 640 mm
Width: 430 mm
OBJECT NUMBER: ELYGM:2003.1
This item is not currently on display and can only be viewed by prior arrangement.
This heraldic shield is thought to have been based on the medieval armorials of the Garter Stall Plates at St George's Chapel, Windsor. The arms appear to be those of Sir Simon Felbrigg, standard-bearer to Richard II, and later Knight of the Garter. However, the panel appears to have been wrongly orientated, as the lions should face the viewer's left. The exact heraldic counterpart to this shield can be seen in the chapel of the Chateau de Cormatin, near Macon, Burgandy. The panel was either made by Mabel Esplin (1874-1921) or Joan Fulleylove (1886-1947), both were influential women artists in the Arts and Crafts Movement and studied under influential twentieth-century stained glass artists such as Karl Parsons and Christopher Whall.